Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cooking Day

Well, actually it was a cooking half day. I made a total of about 12 dinner main courses from four different recipes that used a ground beef/vegie mixture that I made first: Sloppy Joes (2 meals), Stuffed Peppers (4 meals), Chile (6 plus meals and Bob ate it for lunch), and Lazy Lasagna. That last one had you putting the layers together without cooking the pasta (I think that's the lazy part). I doctored the recipes slightly to increase nutrition and add herbs. I love herbs and they are coming in nice now. I don't have dill though but I am harvesting garlic, basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary a plenty. All these recipes came from Frozen Assets. I have frozen all the food and we'll unfreeze it when we need dinner after school starts. I was cooking for 4.5 hours straight. I think it will be worth it when we have good food without much effort later on.

I went to see my nutritionist. She was very congratulatory. She said, "you've been a busy bee this summer and have made some real changes. You've gotten results. Congratulations! I think you should really celebrate!" I joked back at her, "Bob and I need to have a super high calorie dinner." She laughed and said that celebration doesn't always have to be about food. Of course, that's a challenge for me. When I want to celebrate, let's have a special meal. I'm depressed, let's eat. I have always had trouble with emotional eating. I think, though, that I have made real progress this summer toward changing lifetime eating habits. She wanted me to acknowledge that fact and celebrate it. And I am!!!

We have had two gorgeous days yesterday and today. The humidity finally has broken. It is sunny and pleasant. Wow, what a treat!

Today I must go to school to work on my room. Bob and I will go to lunch first though and of course we will have a nutritious but delicious lunch. Ha!

Sue

2 comments:

Gardini said...

When did you go to Scarborough Fair? (Parsley, Sage Rosemary and Thyme)

Well,I have been very strict since my terrible two weeks, and according to the scale (which, incidentally is a fickle mistress)at the gym, I have lost 3 pounds since Sunday. I am always a little hungry and that seems to be how I can tell I am losing.

This week is a strategically important week for me. If i can lose another 3 before saturday I will be back on track.

It makes me wonder why I can't be this way every week, and I suppose that I should. I am closing in on 2 years that I have changed my eating habits, and I will probably be at least down 50 to 60 pounds. It is tough to be motivated when it takes so long, but the Doc says slow and sure wins the race...he thinks I am a tortoise.
Stay Tuned

Sue Saari said...

You are so right. I am a tortoise too. Slow and sure wins the race. So true. I think my posting of today might help too. It gets a little philosophical, but I find I sometimes eat for reasons other than I'm physically hungry.

Stay the course! We are both very proud of you. I of all people know how difficult it is to have done what you have done!