Friday, August 20, 2010

Top Chefs Cutting Back on Meat

There was an article in this week's Time magazine about how the top (i.e. famous) chefs are starting to serve less meat at their four star restaurants. One said, "I can eat a couple bites of meat and then it gets boring." I had never heard a famous chef say that. I happen to agree. I think the taste of vegies is much more interesting. We are using meat more as a flavoring. The Mediterranean style cooking I've been doing definitely emphasizes vegies over meat. You get your protein from yogurt, cheese, beans, and not so much from meat. I think this is one of the secrets of healthy eating.

Last night we went to Bravos for dinner. I had a wonderful arugula salad and a dish they called Frutti di Mare. It had seafood harvested greenly and the menu bragged about this. It came over fettuccine with a light tomato sauce. It was absolutely delicious and I didn't come away stuffed (my new habit).

We're having a little cocktail party this afternoon with a German theme. I hope the weather stays nice.

Sue

3 comments:

Sue Saari said...

We also shared a dessert: chocolate torte with ice cream. It was heavenly.

Gardini said...

First of all: Ta ta ta ta ta ta....trumpet blast for Sue: CONGRATULATIONS !
Now, chocolaye dessert and cocktail party? BIG CHALLENGE....it is so easy to slip back, and so hard to lose it again..Trust me, I have been very strict this week and have about re-lost the 5 that I gained.

RE Chefs, and 4 star menus and meat...I am not there....I am measuring carefully the amount of meat, but I really am not an aspargus and broccoli kind of guy. It has been over a year and a half since I have had a glass of wine, and I have cut out anything with sugar, and about 85% white flour...but I am still clinging to chicken and pork chops, some fish, and maybe once every 6 to 8 weeks a piece of steak.

Yesterday, for the first time, I did 7 MILES on the stationary bike. With miles to go, and a song in my heart.....

Sue Saari said...

Congratulations, Ron! Keep up the good work. Me too. Bob took a 50 pound blob of salt downstairs to the water softener machine. THAT is what I am loosing. That's a heavy sucker! THAT'S what you have lost! Just pat yourself on the back!