Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Changing Habits

It is very difficult to change your habits, especially under stress. That's what it's about though. It is about changing how you react and not using food as a salve or some kind of emotional band-aid. I am trying to find other things I can do instead of eat. It helps to figure out what I am feeling. Is it pressure from work? Is it sadness? I learned from Tolle's Come into the Now that the first step is to examine what you're feeling. That act brings the feeling from the subconscious to the conscious and therefore brings it to the now. This very much relates to my challenge of emotional eating. I have to examine what I am feeling. Is it just a feeling or am I actually hungry. If I'm actually hungry, I eat something, but I eat something healthy. That's the habit I'm trying to change. I don't want to go into automatic or tread the same path I have always tread when it comes to eating.

I'm going to walk Essi, then go into school and work on my room. All the classroom teachers are having PD today about reading and curriculum. These workshops don't apply to me, so I'm doing my own thing.

Have a good one,
Sue

2 comments:

Gardini said...

They talk about emotional eating at Weight Watchers and I suppose that there is some truth to it. However, 2 hours after I eat (actually maybe 1/2 hour) I have that gnawing feeling. No stress, no anger, no lonely, no sadness, not feeling anything except hungry. So I am using watermelon, cantelope, strawberries, banana's water, diet iced tea to have as a snack.

I am going to experiment with eating something small every hour...like 4 strawberries, or a half a banana. Emotional or not, hungry is hungry. 40 minutes ago I ate a substantial lunch, and I could eat another lunch right now. I wonder if the stomach is shrinking so slowly that there is alwats capacity for additional food. As I sit and write this, I tried to determine what I was "feeling". I was feeling slightly hungry...no kidding...there is no emotional turmoil,,,in fact everything is rather placid here at 601 Ridge View Drive.

I do wonder why I fell off the wagon so badly a week or 2 ago? And now that i have been very strict regarding sugar and white flour, all theose carbocravings are gone.

I just saw this smart aleck rabbit race by me, and stick out his tongue at me. However, he don't bother this tortoise.
Until next time

Sue Saari said...

Ha! Very funny posting! Hey, I wish some rabbits or some more tortoises would join in on this blog with a comment or two once in a while. However, we'll just keep on keeping on, won't we?