Sunday, October 3, 2010

Old Habits Make Well-worn Paths

I was thinking back on how in the world I got to where I am now weight-wise. It has a lot to do with unhealthy habits that I slip back into after a time of more healthy choices and how easy it is to slip back into those habits. It also has to do with losing weight and gaining it back plus more and doing this many times. It certainly comes back on a lot more easily that it comes off. It's too bad that you can't eat something that joins with the actual fat cells and takes them from your body. I have read that having lost the weight, those fat cells are still there in your body. This is one thing that makes keeping weight off so difficult. That, and the fact that old habits are really difficult to change.

There is a new book out that talks about how the eating habits your mother had during pregnancy affects the future child even before birth. That is, the tendency toward diabetes, obesity, and other conditions are set inside the womb. It's not heredity, but habits set before birth. There are well worn paths established BEFORE BIRTH. I find this incredible. The only hopeful news is that you CAN change the paths, but the bad news is that some paths are already there for you as a fetus. YIKES!

I was also thinking about how most people move along the path of least resistance, the path that takes the least effort. This would include following the paths of your old habits because it's much easier. This is true not only for eating, but many other areas of life too. "That's the way we've always done it" is the argument for doing it a certain way, not to question whether it is right or not, and not to put forth the effort to change. That's the way my mother did it or my father did it. I think this way of thinking will ultimately point to our undoing. You can't fight every battle on every front - age, I think, brings the wisdom of how to choose what battles you can fight and have a chance of winning. The rest you have to let go.

And on that note, I'll say tra-lah,
Sue

2 comments:

GARDINI said...

Well said.... I couldn't agree with you any more than I do....several weeks ago...the Cookie monstaer attacked me....4 oatmeal Raisin cookies and a large glass of cold milk..three days in a row...then 3 chocolate mini donuts... I gained 5 pounds... and just this week have lost most of what I gained...but I still lost the momentum that I had going and it takes so much will power to not give in....as we speak...I know that there are Oatmeal cookies in the kitchen for RSG's lunch and they are tempting me...but I am remembering how painful it is to see the result on the scale..."THERE IS NO FINISH LINE" but tonight I will win this battle....
Toodles

Sue Saari said...

It helps not to have them in the house, or do something disgusting with them like put them in the freezer. A new coffee shop opened just down the street and they sell cupcakes. Oh no, something new to stay away from. Yikes. Keep on it!