Monday, October 4, 2010

Avoiding the Winter Bulge

I read in my library that it is programmed into our DNA to gain in the winter because fat insulates better in colder weather. Well... I certainly have enough to get me through the coldest times - ha! In fact, I'm sure I'd be just as warm with less insulation, if you know what I mean. I want to ensure that I keep my downward direction. So let's share what to do when we can't go outside as much. Like today, it didn't make it out of the low 60s. The kids were outside running and jumping, so they didn't seem to mind. I had my heat on and we didn't have to run the air conditioner today for the first time in my trailer.

Here's my list to avoid the winter bulge and to keep on going DOWN: avoid too many desserts and sweets (boy, do I crave them during cold weather so keep them to once a week only), keep the whole grains in every meal, bump up something in your exercise plan (more core exercises for me), go rake some leaves, keep on schedule with eating often (but the right things), drink plenty of water, switch shoes in the middle of the day, eat early (not past 6 PM), keep switching off smaller breakfasts, don't forget your vitamin D in the winter, cook some hardy healthy soups, keep on low meat or have non-meat meals, Zumba at least twice a week, keep my air machine going strong, feet up during lunch, continue my early morning workouts 4x a week. Can anybody add some things? Comment, please.

Sue

1 comment:

GARDINI said...

I think you covered it pretty well....the real issue is doing it...how well I know. Had a tough gym day Tuesday which is just stationary bike...couldn't go past 10 minutes...yet today (WED) everything was fine.