Saturday, September 25, 2010

More "Good" News from the Paper

I was reading in the USA Today that America has one of the highest percentages of very overweight people in the developed world. I think it was over 30%. The thing is that the paper doesn't emphasize enough what Americans have to do about this. I think some laws governing the fast food industry would help. I think people should have to pay more for burgers, fries, and cokes. If salads were as cheap as hamburgers, more people would choose them. Maybe I'm dreaming. It is true that once refined sugar and flour are out of your system, you don't crave them as much. Healthy foods take longer to eat. There are tricks that should be publicized more like drink a glass of water before dinner. Eat your salads and vegies first. Always serve vegies and fruits at every meal and make them the central part of the meal instead of meat. Move more. Park farther away and walk more. Turn off the TV and do something active. Get together with some friends and try a new exercise. Walk your dog every day (they love it and it's good exercise). Sleep more. Shop the outside of the supermarket and refuse to buy anything premade or precooked. Down with convenience food! There's a million other things that can be done. Add your favorites and comment!

I get tired of reading and hearing how fat we are without more people with power doing something about it. I guess each person needs to do what he or she can do and make those small choices daily toward better health.

Celery with hummus - yum!
Sue

2 comments:

GARDINI said...

The Journey of 1000 miles etc etc
The journey of weight loss begins with a single pound...and doing most all of the above....I have almost decided to take a break from Weight Watchers to pursue a 12 week Nutrition program that is offered at my Health club.. WW works well for the Points and classes..but are a little weak with solid nutritional information...I am thinking that since I am doing well on the exercise side of the coin, I need to improve the Nutritional side, which includes strict journalling and accountability one on one.
Will decide that tomorrow..Today I have played 2 chutch services, have a funeral to play this afternoon,. and a mens Chorus rehearsal this evening.
TOODLES

Sue Saari said...

I agree with WW. As you know I like to go organic, so WW is not enough for me. Whatever you choose, keep up the good work.