Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Great Spin Class w/ Weights

I just got finished with the spin class with weights. It's a great workout. You haven't lived until you've done squats right after spinning hard for 45 minutes. Yikes!

I think I'm going to take a workshop the first two weeks in August to prepare for school and get psyched. It's a course at Miami of Ohio on the method I use to teach music, the Orff (yes, Karl Orff the composer of Carmina Burana conceived this method). It emphasizes performance or actually doing music, movement, and learning music be ear, although music reading is taught too. There is a lot of recorder playing and also a lot of ethnic music of different areas of the US and all around the world. It's a really neat way to learn and teach music. I love it. I took the Level I workshop a couple years, and it totally transformed my teaching. I want to take Level II. They also have Level III and Master levels. When you take Orff and join the organization, it's almost like joining a secret society. Very interesting. There are special instruments you use. Our school district has a set of instruments for each school, so we like Orff.

Well, we had our one day humidity break and it's back today, but not quite as high. My sister who lives in Virginia Beach said they had temperatures of over 100 for four (4!!!) days in a row. This is unprecedented.

Well, cheerio for now,
Sue

2 comments:

Gardini said...

My brother visited for several days so I have been busy being a good host (if you can imagine such a thing)
Have been to the gym every day except Sunday.
Started rehearsals for the fall Concert season of the GAP Mens Chorus.
Watermelon and Steel Cut Oatmeal are my best friends.
Don't just stay cool, "Be Cool"

Sue Saari said...

I got the most wonderful watermelon at one of our roadside stands. That watermelon was soooo good!