Friday, July 30, 2010

Sewing and Weigh-in

I opened the box that my sister sent me containing my mother's sewing machine, a little black antique Singer portable that Mother used and Janet and I learned to sew on. After I removed all the peanuts, I set it up. It works fine! It still has that slightly oily smell that it always had. It's all metal decorated with little gold swirlys and has very few scratches. It must be at least 50 years old, maybe older. I was so thrilled when I started sewing with it, that tears came to my eyes. It sure brings back memories. When I was growing up all girls learned to sew and cook. I don't think they even have home economics now, but I think all girls AND boys should learn to sew and cook, plus quite a few other things they're not learning now. Oh dear, don't I sound like an old fart now?

Weigh-in report: I'm down .5 lb, not quite a pound, but I'll take it. At least it's the right direction.

I walked Essi today and I had to discipline her. She had a meltdown with another dog. She's had training and knows better. So she had to sit and stay for a bit and listen to my disappointed voice.

I'm watering a bit, because it's very very dry. No speakable rain for almost a month. We go from the tropics in the spring with rain every day to the dessert with no rain. But at least it's a bit cooler today and the humidity is less.

Happy Friday,
Sue

3 comments:

Gardini said...

1/2 pound is great.... I fear tomorrow, as I am probably up this week...it happens...not that I was that bad but if I don't stay totally on the program I gain...well I had some nachos (small amount) 1 oatmeal cookie...small amount...some potato chips with my sandwich...(not alot) but they add up. so I am not very excited about weigh in tomorrow but will report back....that is...if you remember to blog.

Johanna Gardiner said...

Hoping you don't read this...weigh in: up 1.6. Check next week, it WILL GO DOWN.

Sue Saari said...

Hi Johanna! I have had many ups and downs. Just get back on your program! I have 2 more weeks like now when I cook (see next blog entry), then it's back to the regular school schedule. I am seeking tricks to keep at it even when I'm teaching. I'll blog more about Frozen Assets after I read through it.