When I was shopping at the Kroger the other day, I asked for organic grapes. They told me they can't get them until they are in season. They also said that the organic grapes don't last very long. I remarked to them that the reason for this is that they have so many chemicals. The most important items to eat organically are berries and grapes, just the very items "that don't last long." It also occurred to me that I am not knowledgable enough about what is in season. You get more nutrition from fruits and vegies that are in season. Kroger is doing better at stocking organic, but they still have bins and bins of the same fruits and vegies all year. Not too much changes. This is wrong. We should be buying the vegies and fruits that are in season, not the ones that have been in cold storage for weeks. A good example are apples. They have them every week, but why? They come into season in the fall. That's why I have planted my own fruit: strawberries, rasberries, and soon blueberries. I have apple trees in the back too. So far, I have not taken proper care of them, so we haven't harvested fruit. I'm learning what to do, because I am not going to spray them. Farmers markets are starting up soon. I can't wait to have fresh non-chemical covered fruit and vegies.
Tough week. Sorry I haven't blogged, but this has been the week from ... well, you know.
I'd still like more followers. Or just comment below in the box.
Sue
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What I meant above is that the fruits that DON'T have chemicals don't last as long on the shelf. Sleepy, sorry!
Organic just tastes better!
Post a Comment