Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother and Doing All You Can

I am with my mother now, and she is with me some of the time. That is, I'm with her physically, but she sometimes goes away mentally and then comes back. Cancer is competing with her own spirit, her husband (and my Dad), my sister, and me for her consciousness. I have been through this before. My dear friend, Fran, also was taken from this world by cancer. I remember sitting beside her as she drifted away from me and back again. Fran was resigned and at peace with going, but my Mother is not. She does not accept what is happening to her. She is feisty and has not given herself over to the cancer and the inevitability of the destruction of her body. She is very weak physically, but she is still fighting and still struggling, or should I say hoping, to get well. My Dad gets it. He knows he will loose her and said to me with tears, "I was hoping to have her with me for a while longer." They both have very strong faith in God and knowledge that this life we know here is not the end of the living of their spirits. I believe this too. I am absolutely convinced of it and have known this from a very young age before anybody had a chance to teach it to me.

This week also we lost one of our dear friends to ALS. His body failed him. He no longer needs his useless body. What a beautiful funeral it was. I shall never forget it. It was so "him" and I felt his spirit there with us as we grieved and tried to get used to the idea of him being no longer here.

All else pales to having your health! That's why it's so important to do all you can to get healthy and stay healthy. This includes trying to get to the right weight. I think it's important to live this life as well as you possibly can, as fully, as truly as you can. I am struggling to expunge some of the excess fat I'm carrying around. I am determined and as anybody can tell you who knows me, I do not give up.

I still hope that some more of you will join me on this blog on our quest to get healthy.

Sue

2 comments:

Sue Saari said...

By the way, in spite of everything this week, I lost a little over a pound. So it's 3 down and 47 to go. Let's keep it up!

Gardini said...

I am right with you, Sue...I desperately need to lose another 47....maybe we should
set up a weekly loss comparison chart...I weigh in on Saturday mornings, so we could simply report how much was lost each week.
How about it? You are younger than me, so your metabolism is a bit kinder.