Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Herbs Add Beauty and Taste

I went to my garden club last night. We had our meeting at Marvins Gardens, our all organic nursery, the only one in this area. We put together container herb gardens. We got to walk around the big greenhouse collecting herbs. Leslie, a friend of mine and someone who has worked at Marvins for 11 years (wow), had all the great potting soil, organic fertilizer, and mulch for us to use. I love arranging pots. I have 20 or so. I put perennials in them, as well as annuals and bulbs. We haul them into the porch in the winter (Bob LOVES that - ha!)

Herbs are great because they add so much to the garden and to your recipes. I have been talking lately much about loosing weight. I also care very much about eating organically. I honestly feel that green and local eating is the path toward health. I always have an easier time with my weight during the summer when I can garden and eat those healthy organic locally produced vegies and fruits.

One of the objections I have to WW is that they don't emphasize organic eating. Their products they sell at meetings all have high fructose corn syrup. This sweetener is in so many of our processed foods. When you check the label, it's in there. It's cheap and they put it in to make the food taste better when they can't use fat. This sugar stand-in is even worse for you than fat, especially the hydrogenated fats.

The balance is very difficult - to eat healthy organic AND loose weight. That's what I want to do. I am fighting off a sore throat this week. UGH!

To health,
Sue

2 comments:

Gardini said...

High Fructose Corn Syrup is evil !!! I agree.
Although my name would suggest otherwise, I am not a gardener nor do I like anything to do with digging in the earth, potting soil, plants,fertilizer, flowers (enjoy looking at them)or otherwise tilling the soil. However, I admire your skill and green thumb. I even understand....after all.... not everyone owns their very own digeridoo...and with that being said... nothing more would be surprising. (have you considered taking up bagpipes?) Do you know why Bagpepers walk whilst playing? Check your next blog reply for the answer.
Gardini

Sue Saari said...

Bagpipes???? Hey, good one. Actually I quite like the Irish kind, called Eillian, or something like that. I'm sure I have the spelling wrong. These pipes are pumped under your left arm to get the air in there. Anyway... thanks for the chuckle!!!