Saturday, September 3, 2011

Soil Key to Gardening Organically

According to Marie Rodale, granddaughter of the founder of Rodale Inst (dedicated to organic practices), all you need to do is take care of your soil by adding compost. People want to buy something to fix whatever it is NOW. Organic is a practice and takes time. It's not something you can get quickly. My grass is looking pretty good. I do not use chemicals. I put compost and corn glutan on the yard once a year. I mow high (3 inches) and leave the cut grass clippings on the yard as nitrogen. That's it. It's taken 10 years, but I have few weeds. If I wanted to go one step further, I'd use an electric mower or reel mower. Marie Rodale makes the point that most nurseries would be left with no products to sell if people gardened organically. Just put on compost. I have beautiful tomatoes this year. All I used is good compost on soil that I have been adding compost to quite a few years. No other fertilizers, chemical or otherwise, were used. I did keep them watered. And I used straw around them as mulch to keep in the moisture. They are beautiful plants even now in the 95 degree September heat of today.

By the way you can easily make your own compost with leaves, yard cuttings, and the scraps of veggies from your kitchen. And it doesn't cost a thing.

Sue

No comments: